“Where can I serve?”

“Harvest already seems to be well run and all the places I can volunteer seem to be filled”

“I don’t really have the time”

“I live too far”

“What skills do I really have that the church can use?”

These are some of the thoughts that went through my mind when I first started considering volunteering in some way at Harvest. Ok, I admit it, they can also be considered excuses, but they seemed legitimate at the time. The excuses would swirl around in my mind, sometimes at the forefront and at other times in the back, but they were always there.

One day, I went to the Harvest website, the one prior to the one we have today. No offense to those who created it, but I found myself frustrated with it. Some may say the same about the current site, but that’s another story. The site hadn’t been updated for over a year at that point. I wanted to complain and vent to someone and that’s when God convicted me.

The new thought that entered my mind was, “If you’re so passionate about this, why don’t you work on it?” Not too long afterward, I heeded the call and joined the web team; members of whom I later discovered shared my same frustrations.

Little did I know that that there would be some great joys and deep sorrows in joining the web team. We worked hard on the site and grew close as a team. We toiled for some time when the leader of the team, David Jun, tragically passed away with his wife Hannah on vacation. We as a team regrouped and renewed our efforts and when we finished the new website, we dedicated it to memory of David and Hannah. There was much to celebrate when we launched the new site, it had a new look and the information was more useful and more importantly, we honored our friend.

We still get feedback such as:

“I found your church because of the website!”

“I’m glad I’m able listen to the sermon that I missed online.”

“What was the date of that upcoming event? Oh yeah, it’s on the site…”

These are just a few of blessings that I have been able to be a part of, just by listening to God speak that one day. So, what is frustrating you about Harvest? Pastor Dave has mentioned several times that we are far from being a perfect church, so you can’t say “nothing”. Let me rephrase the question for you, “What new adventures does God have in store for you, if you are willing and heed the call?”


Brian Kim

Web Team

1 comments:

Jeannie said...

Thanks for sharing that blog. So encouraging!