November 18, 2008

On Humility

When I read the Bible, occasionally a verse, sentence or phrase will stand out as though in bold print. I take that as the Lord wanting me to pay special attention to it, to chew on it awhile. The most recent example comes from Romans 12:16 which includes, “Do not be wise in your own opinion.” To me this meant, “Don’t think you know it all. Don’t be conceited. Be humble and willing to learn.”

As a younger Christian, I viewed humility as meaning self-loathing, self-disgust, putting myself down in comparison to others. It took awhile for me to realize that this kind of “humility” actually made self the focus and was self-absorption, not humility. I learned that true humility doesn’t involve comparing myself with others at all, but comes from seeing who I am in comparison to who God is. He is the Creator of the universe. I am His finite creature. Remembering my smallness in light of His greatness is what engenders true humility. And this too is not a self-loathing. Instead, it is a sense of awe at the reality that Someone so great deigns (condescends, stoops down, sees fit) to lovingly involve Himself in the life of someone so small.

As human beings, we all have a deep desire to “be somebody.” It seems that almost every time I do something that makes me feel like I have done something good or praise-worthy, the temptation to cross the line into pride quickly follows. And then a verse comes along that says, “Do not be wise in your own opinion.” And I remember that I am “somebody,” not because of anything I have done, but because I belong to God and I am His child.

Ruth Carr
2008 HCC Women's Retreat Speaker

0 comments: