December 1, 2008

Expression of Worship

Many years ago, my friends and I attended a 12 hour prayer conference, standing side by side with 20,000 other believers in a large outdoor stadium to fast and pray together. During the time of praise, I noticed a middle-aged woman worshipping God through interpretive dance nearby. She hopped and twirled with her arms gracefully moving in all directions, and I soon realized that her movements resembled an artist applying paint onto a canvas.

With her face lit brightly, she seemed to be painting something beautiful, a masterpiece only she could create and only God’s eyes could see. Her left arm was held in the air to hold the palette while her right arm gracefully moved to and fro as she splashed vibrant colors onto the invisible canvas. I could only imagine the radiant colors she envisioned as she filled her canvas with praises unto God. Witnessing this woman completely immersed in a liberating act of worship made me want to experience it as well.

Although I never learned anything about who this woman was, observing her use of painting and dance as a unique way to worship left an impact on me. As Director of Multimedia at Harvest, I have the unique opportunity to worship God in a similar way, only my palette and paint brushes are my computer and mouse.

From time to time, I find myself wondering if the video spots or fliers I create for the church are spiritual acts of worship to God. But as I reflect on the woman from the conference, I’m quickly reminded that the expression of worship is not limited to one medium or method. I have the privilege and opportunity to creatively use my pencils, paint brushes and design programs to worship Him.

While designing a logo for a new ministry or updating banners for our church website, I’m inspired to do my very best because I have a canvas that’s not only visible to God, but visible to others as well. My hope is that it can impact the lives of others in the same way the woman’s worship did mine.


Sunny Chung
Director of Multimedia at Harvest

0 comments: