December 3, 2008

Feed My Starving Children

Originally posted to Life is Ministry on Monday, October 15, 2007

"I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven."
Last Friday night my daughter Abigail and I and a group from Harvest Church went to a Feed My Starving Children mobile packing event. It is exactly what it sounds like. FMSC is an organization that prepares special packets of nutritious dried food that is then shipped to missionaries working in areas of extreme poverty where children are starving to death. I think there were around 120 people working at the shift we were at and in two hours we were able to prepare over 28,000 packaged meals.

Preparing food for the hungry was more than just a time of work. It was a time of worship and a blessing to be able to be part of it. It was so good being able to share this experience with Abi as well. She kept asking me who was making the kids sick, and I kept trying to explain in different ways that in some places people don't have any way to get the food that they need. She had trouble understanding how this could happen, but was very eager to prepare food for the kids who are starving. When we were driving home I asked her what her favorite part of the day was. She said, "The party". I was confused and when I asked her she responded, "You know, the party where we made food for the kids."

To find out more about how you can serve, visit the FMSC website.

Matthew Swain Pastor of Outreach Ministries

0 comments: