December 22, 2008

From a place far west.....

I have been involved in Ambassadors for ten years. Looking back to when I first entered school, I had a difficult time adapting to the college life. I also knew that my faith was not build on the toughest foundations and was afraid that I would fall away. I wanted to go to U of I or UIC where there were reputable campus ministries to grow my faith. However, God had other plans. He led me to see that sometimes, you must fight for your own faith and blessings. I was too accustomed to being taught everything and 'spoon fed'.

When I came to NIU, God showed me that if I wanted to get to know him, I would have to take the initiative. It was not the easiest thing. Many times, I wanted to transfer out, but God somehow reeled me back in. I often ask God how I was going to do well in a place like this, where very few strong churches or campus ministries exist on campus. Every time I ask of that from God, He would ask me to fill in the gap instead. I realized how selfish I was. I grow by not what God can do for me, but I should evaluate why God has sent me here. What purpose does he have for me where I am and what can I do for his glory?

He flicked on a light switch in me...and helped me to realize that He has a purpose as to why I was in NIU.

Sherman Lee
NIU Ambassadors

0 comments: