January 9, 2009

Leaving a Legacy

I've been reflecting on leaving a legacy ...

Last Sunday, I "officiated" the renewal of vows for a couple celebrating 50 years of marriage. That's almost as old as ... well, I won't mention names. Anyway, the best part of the service was when the children and grandchildren shared the legacy the couple had passed on. It was very emotional and moving. In reflecting on the sharing, I hope my kids will say some good things about me and my wife 32 years from now. Otherwise, I'm writing them out of the will ... just kidding!
This last week, I've also been reading Richard Blackaby's Unlimiting God. A thought that caught my attention the most was a paragraph he wrote about his father. He wrote, "Let me hasten to say that my father is the godliest man I know. I've had the privilege of meeting several famous Christian leaders whom I greatly admire, but my father is hands down the greatest man of God I've known."

Need I say more?

When I think about myself, I often think I'm passing down a mixed message legacy, but in the end, I hope and pray that all who watch me will know that I loved Jesus, my wife, my children and the people I've pastored. And I hope and pray, people will say something similar about me that Richard Blackaby said about his father.

How about you?

Frank Piszczor
Pastor of Community

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Reminds me of the song "Legacy" by Nichole Nordeman.

"I don't have to look too far or too long awhile
To make a lengthly list of all that I enjoy
It's an accumulating trinket and a treasure pile
Where moth and rust, thieves and such will soon enough destroy"

Sena bought a chassis brace for my car recently and gave it to me as a Christmas present. When it comes down to it, more than once I've thought to myself, "If this vehicle happens to be involved in a major accident, more than likely the gift she gave me will end up in some downstate junkyard".

And it got me thinking, and made me sad inside, when I thought about, really, all the gifts that I'd been given in my life that I've either taken for granted, or not NEARLY made the best use of.